2. After Eddie plops down on Delilah’s bed, Eden gets upset at him. Why do you think Eden thinks this is inappropriate behavior?
3. Do you know anyone who, like Eden, can stand up to other people when they’re being inappropriate? Can you do it?
4. What are the rules that you would make for the adult male friends of your family? Have you ever had an older man flirt with you in a way that made you feel uncomfortable?
5. What does Best Friends Forever mean to you? What is your ideal best friend? What kind of best friend do you want to be?
6. How do you let your friends know that they can count on you?
7. Ms. Green seems concerned about Delilah’s disappearance. What other adults would also be concerned?
8. Who else could Eden go to for help in finding Delilah?
9. Do you have someone in your life that you are certain beyond even a shadow of a doubt would take your concerns seriously and take action?
10. In the scene where Delilah wakes up to find Eddie right next to her, do you think it was okay for her to knee him in the crotch? In what situation do you think it’s okay to do that?
11. Why do you think Eddie tells Eden that she should stop coming around to their house?
12. What are the clues that Eden and Jada gather about Delilah’s disappearance?
13. How has Delilah changed in the photographs that she Instagrams of herself?
14. What do you think about Jess? Do you like him?
15. When Gabriella tells the story about how Jess asks her to entertain a business associate, what do you think she means?
16. Why do you think Gabriella does what Jess asks her to do and entertains his associate?
1. Who is Empress D, and who is she to Delilah? Who do you idolize in your life, and what qualities about them do you admire?
17. What does Gabriella suggest that Jada should do if she’s in a situation where a man makes her uncomfortable or tries touching her in inappropriate ways?
18. According to Gabriella, what makes predators afraid? Is Eddie a predator?
19. What are some of the ways that Jada could confront Eddie if he started becoming inappropriate with her?
20. Even though Jada’s mom doesn’t seem to be concerned about Delilah’s disappearance, who else could Eden have gone to for help?
22. How does Angel Club make money?
21. In what ways does Eden put herself in danger by going down to Jess’ club alone? Do you think this was smart on Eden’s part? What other choice could she make?
23. How does Jess make the activity of Angel Club sound appealing?
24. How does Jess use his good looks and charm on Eden? Do you think this is how he manipulated Delilah into working for him?
25. Why do you think Jess’s charm works on Delilah but not on Eden?
26. Why does Delilah stay with Jess even after Eden comes to save her?
27. Jess hits Delilah after Eden’s visit...what affect does the combination of Jess’s violence and his gentleness have on her?
28. When Jada discovers Affa, her slave ancestor, she contemplates overdosing on pills...why? What other things might make Jada feel like a slave?
29. The doctor at the hospital lists the most typical signs of a girl being trafficked into the sex industry. Why do you think these red flags are signs of being trafficked?
30. Delilah thinks of Jess as her boyfriend and Eden thinks of him as her pimp. Who do you think is right?
31. It seems like everyone hits Delilah: her mother, Jess, her clients at Angel Club. Is there anything Delilah can do to stop this abuse?
32. In what way is Affa’s experience of slavery similar to Delilah’s situation? It seems like Empress D loves Delilah a lot, but isn’t Empress D imaginary? What use is the love of an imaginary person?
33. How is Delilah finally able to break free from Jess?